GET HELP Whatever you’re facing, help is out there

There are lots of organisations that can offer support for money and mental health problems in the UK.

Help with mental health

If you need help with your mental health, or support with caring for someone else, you can find advice on the MindRethink or Mental Health Foundation websites, or on the NHS website.

For 24-hour support you can also call the Samaritans on 116 123 or text SHOUT to 85258.

If you are worried that you or someone else is in immediate danger, call 999 – you can ask to stay on the line while you wait for help to arrive.

Help with finances

You can download Martin Lewis’s free guide for everyone struggling with their finances and a mental health problem. It will provide useful resources whether you’re looking for advice for yourself or for someone you care about.

If you need more direct help with your finances, there are a variety of free-to-use advice and support services with many advisers trained to help those with mental health problems. Citizens AdviceStepchange, Christians Against Poverty and National Debtline can all help. You can also find practical advice and support for your mental health and money issues at Mental Health and Money Advice

If you’re looking for advice on benefits you can use this free benefits calculator from the charity Turn2Us to check what you’re entitled to.

If you need advice regarding your small business, including the self-employed, Business Debtline can help.

Loansharks are illegal moneylenders who often charge very high rates of interest. If you’re worried about a loanshark you can get confidential information and advice, or report illegal activity here.

Help with the cost of living

If you need help with the cost of energy or other essentials there are a number of places that can help right now.

  • National Energy Action has a number you can call for advice and support if you’re struggling to afford to heat your home. They also have guides with advice and signposting to further support. 
  • Help for Households has information about government cost of living payments and tips to reduce energy costs.
  • Ofgem has a list of government schemes and grants that can help with energy costs.
  • Citizens Advice has advice on using food banks, including how to get a referral.
  • This guide from Money Saving Expert contains tips and advice on how to save money on energy, broadband and lots more.